Sunday, December 3, 2017

Get Connected On The Go


Having Internet access while you are overseas is very important. After all, you need it for Google Maps or general research. Also, my husband is someone who cannot do without his beloved mobile games so finding viable pocket WiFi options is always at the top of my list.

There are a few options to getting your Internet fix. You either get a SIM card, rent a pocket WiFi from the airport or add on a data roaming plan. I personally prefer SIM Cards because it's less of a hassle than a pocket WiFi, which tends to run out of power before the day ends and you usually need to carry more than one power bank to ensure all of your devices are powered up on the go.

I'm not a big fan of data roaming plans either because I worry about the cost and data limits. Anyway, here are the major Telcom data roaming plans for your reference:

Japan
When I go Japan, however, I usually rent the WiFi Router from Changi Recommends. Sometimes they have pretty good promotions, which could work out to about $4 a day. All you need to do is register online beforehand, collect it at one of their collection kiosks, put a deposit of $1 on your credit card and pay only when you return the pocket WiFi on the day of your arrival in Singapore. It's a pretty painless process but sometimes the queues could get pretty long.

Why do I choose to use the pocket WiFi instead of a SIM card? The reason is because when I researched on getting a SIM Card from online vendors like Qoo10, I was told that apparently the SIM Card cannot be used on my phone - a Xiaomi Mi Note. I'm not sure whether this is true but I didn't want to run the risk of buying something I don't need. Yes, I could sell it off later but it's so troublesome. Also, I understand from a friend of mine that you need to change the settings on your phone when you use a SIM Card in Japan while you just need to input the password from the pocket WiFi and voilĂ ! Instant Internet access.

If you have a few people travelling together, having a Pocket WiFi is also useful, practical and economical. The only thing is your group members can't venture too far from one another. LOL. Well, at least you won't lose sight of your travel mates. Anyway, here is a useful article on the pros and cons of using Prepaid SIM vs Pocket WiFi if you plan on visiting Japan. If you were to rent an apartment under AirBnB, your host will usually provide a pocket WiFi but according to what I heard from fellow travelers, such pocket WiFi tend to be unpredictable and weak in signal so I would recommend you to get your own pocket WiFi instead.

If you prefer other pocket WiFi options, here are a couple of other alternatives for you to choose from. Do note that I have yet to try them, although my friend did mention that she likes Pupuru for its convenience. You can drop it off at any post box in Japan before you leave.
Australia
The Changi Recommends Pocket WiFi worked fine for me while I was in Japan but my friend who used it in Australia found the signal weak and unpredictable. She even had to resort to using M1's Data Passport to bring up Google Maps etc. I guess it's because she visited more rural areas where the signal is not as strong.

Korea
When I visited Korea in 2016, I decided to take a chance by renting the pocket WiFi from one of their local Telcoms. There are various plans, some of which may include free rental fee. Read this to find out more (note: this is a 2015 article so may be outdated but it provides a good guide on how go about renting your own WiFi egg). The connection was not as good as I expected, but still usable. Will probably just buy a SIM card next time.

Thailand
I used a couple options before. Once I bought directly from the airport and the other, I booked on Klook. Both options provided me with fast Internet access. You can also buy your SIM cards off Qoo10 or Fave.

Taiwan
When I went to Taiwan, I just picked up SIM cards from one of their very convenient Telcom counters. This was some time back though so my info about it may be outdated. Anyway, here's an article that you can read up to catch up with the latest news and which SIM card to choose depending on where you go. My experience with their SIM cards has always been good. Connection was fast and flawless, 

There you have it. Not a lot of countries covered, but hope the info is useful for you to kickstart your own research!




No comments:

Post a Comment